Thursday, February 28, 2008

21st century blaxploitation

Yeah, check this out.

That's some very cool 1970's characters interacting on the first issue cover of Alex Ross upcoming Avengers/Invaders mini-series from Marvel Comics.

Let's see, besides Wolverine, there's Jessica "Spider-Woman" Drew, Carol "Ms. Marvel" Danvers, the whole 70's Invaders squad of Captain America & Bucky, Human Torch & Toro and the Sub-Mariner, all posing right alongside Spider-Man, the Wasp and Iron Man.

Oh, and then there's that large befuddled-looking, black gentleman standing at the back.

What ... Luke Cage, you say? Is that really supposed to be Power Man?

You mean to tell me that the veritable "Hero For Hire" himself is in that very image .... minus his trademark yellow and blue fighting togs?

Ah, I see, he's supposed to be projecting a "street-level" image these days. I guess I understand that, but it seems like nothing more than a "token" gesture to me.

C'mon Cage, put your classic hero duds back on, my man. I mean Sweet Christmas, what's this four-color world coming to?

Can you dig it?

No comments: