Thursday, May 14, 2009

Rayboy's Review: Viking #1 (Image Comics); Angel: Blood & Trenches (IDW)

First of all, I am not the guy to review something like this. I think that there may be quite a few comic readers out there who would appreciate what writer Ivan Brandon and artist Nic Klein have presented in this book.

Viking #1 tells the tale of two well, vikings, and their dog eat dog world. Illustrated in a highbrow, painterly-looking gouache style that stretches the medium in ways similar to some of the Vertigo stuff from DC Comics; Viking still manages to impress even me (who would normally stray far away from this type of offering) in a fetchingly presented format that is slightly largely than a normal sized comic, but not quite a tabloid either.

I give the overall issue a "B" due to a strong script, but despite the nice quality of the art, it's just too - -artsy-fartsy - -for my tastes.


One man band, and comic industry legend, John Byrne demonstrates yet again, that whether or not Marvel or DC want to invite him over to play with their toys; he is just not one to sit around on his laurels.

After turning out several nice Star Trek-related mini-series and one-shots for publisher IDW, Byrne is superbly back in the saddle on the four issue Angel: Blood & Trenches. Based on the Joss Whedon television series, Angel (which spun off of Buffy the Vampire Slayer), B & T takes the immortal vampire, Angel back to the days of World War I for a jaw-droppingly good page turner.

I may not be a particularly good fit to review this series either, but having no real interest in the character beyond the TV series (which I had enjoyed), I was pleasantly surprised and impressed by John Byrne's version of Angel. Reading all of the first three issues in one sitting was a real treat also. Can't wait until that last issue comes out.


These items were loaned to me by my brother David, and I was glad for the chance to check them out. Thanks, David!

No comments: