Thursday, May 22, 2008

From the Dust Bin: Mekano




It's no secret that I have a fondness for the old Better/Standard/Nedor heroes published by Ned Pines during the golden age of comics. Here is a rather obscure character who made a single appearance in Wonder Comics #1 (May 1944).

Mekano was a giant robot invented and controlled by young scientist Bill Foster [not to be confused with Marvels African-American Bill Foster/Black Goliath from the 1970's]. Foster used Mekano to fight against crime and the Nazi's; or at least he would have had they continued after their lone adventure.

The two-page spread (above) was sent to me a couple of years ago by my pal Copper, and is the only part of the origin story that I've ever seen of Nedor's resident robot. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kid Terror said...

I've wanted to read this story for a long time. It's good to get a look ol' zig-zag mouth!