Friday, May 9, 2008

A Non-Review of Avengers/Invaders #1


Yes. That's right. Non-review. I'm not gonna buy the book or read it.

Because I picked it up and flipped through it yesterday at the local comic shop. Nothing about the book grabbed me the least little bit, and since I'm probably among the target audience, I just assume that something should grab me enough to commit to the series.

By target audience, I only mean that I was a young fan of the original Invaders series in the 1970's, and I do still linger around the fringe of the hobby. Alex Ross covers & plotting, Jim Krueger scripting, Steve Sadowski art, I like these guys, so what was it about Avengers/Invaders that didn't appeal to me.

Largely it was the huge letdown that I experienced with Sadowski's interior art. I don't know what went wrong with his usual nice work, but be it dreaded deadline doom or simple carelessness, the issue looked rushed, crummy even, and way too dark in the blacks. I went back and checked an earlier online preview of some of these very same pages and there was a big difference in translation to the actual printed page. So that's it, folks! I'm out.

If you wanna give this series a try, you have my blessings, but Marvel has saved me some money, 'cause I am giving Avengers/Invaders a wide pass.

Maybe someday the Liberty Legion will fare better.

2 comments:

Mr. Karswell said...

I felt EXACTLY the same about this at the comicshop Wednesday. Picked it up, flipped through a couple pages, held back the vomit creeping up in my throat, and swiftly placed it back on the shelf.

In the last few months I've gone from giving Marvel around $30-40 a week for new comics to now giving them next to nothing (I do think The Thunderbolts is still pretty awesome.) But I bowed out of the Secret Invasion before it invaded all of Marveldom. Marvel needs to learn to give it's readers a breather or two before launching into another big "event of the year" rip-off.

Chuck Wells said...

I'm glad it wasn't just me.

I also agree with your comment that the fans need a cooling off period between the various marketing events .... but I don't think they are listening to us.