Monday, May 12, 2008

The Want List


I am hoping for a little luck in my back issue box search during the summer convention season.

Dragoncon in Atlanta, GA has become less and less comics oriented over the past decade (so I've blown it off), but the Heroes Convention in Charlotte, NC, is still a terrific "all-comics" show which I never miss. Other than a few single day weekend comics shows in my region, which can be somewhat disappointing or an unexpected treasure trove, that's about the size of my expected search area. I never purchased any of the first issues that are shown here: Ghost Rider #1, The Champions #1, The Micronauts #1 or The Savage She-Hulk #1. I had other early issues of the first three titles, but never bought any issues of the She-Hulk's first series, so I've added these to my current "want list".

I do hope for the best available condition that I can afford, but I have no intention of enriching some eager comics peddler beyond the point of fiscal prudence. In short, I'm looking for a bargain!

And no turtle shells, please. If you want to slab your stuff, bully for you, but I loathe the whole concept of the Comics Guarantee Corporation. A fool and his money, as far as I'm concerned!

And eBay has also become problematical, I've burned out on it - I guess. I'll let you know how successful I am at tracking down these bronze age gems as the convention season unfolds.


5 comments:

Mr. Karswell said...

Never owned a She Hulk #1, but I have a Champions and Micronauts around here somewhere that I'd probably sell... I'll check and get back to you.

I'll never part with my Ghost Rider #1 though!

Chuck Wells said...

Not surprised by that at all,k.

Wayne Skiver said...

Glad to hear a fellow collector who despises the whole CGC thing as much as I do. Insanity.

Chuck Wells said...

Wayne, if there was a button to be pushed somewhere that would erase the CGC from known history - - - I would find a way to push it.

The whole concept was developed by devotees of P.T. Barnum, whose only goal is to separate lots of cash from the utterly gullible.

Kid Terror said...

Impeccable taste. On both the comics and the CGC. I grew up on Micronauts and Machine Man. The Champions and the Defenders are my favorite teams and who doesn't love Johnny Blaze and Shulkie.