Wednesday, June 11, 2008

From the Dust Bin: Charlie Chan #1


By the time that Prize Publications began their five issue run of Charlie Chan in June 1948, Sydney Toler was firmly established as the popular film character, having replaced Warner Oland onscreen a decade earlier.

Prize comics adaptation typically mimicked Toler in appearance, and after watching both men in action in early Chan roles last night on TCM, I've gotta say that I approve. I've probably seen more of Toler's Chan appearances than Oland's, but even though both men are appealing as the Chinese-American detective, Toler is my favorite!

The artwork on the first series was provided by DC's silver age great, Carmine Infantino, so I may have to see if I can find one of these gems at the upcoming Heroes Convention.

Charlie Chan also appeared in other comics adaptations: Charlton released four issues in 1955, DC released six issues of "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan" in 1958 and Dell published two issues in 1965. In the 1970's, there was also a brief Gold Key series adapting the Hanna-Barbera animated show, The Amazing Chan and the Chan Clan.

3 comments:

Mr. Karswell said...

Toler is probably my favorite Chan as well, but it could be for the same reasons in that I've seen practically ALL the Chan movies starring him and only a few with Oland. This opinion could change of course, Charlie Chan at the Circus last night was loads of fun, and after watching Shanghai Express, Old San Francisco and Daughter of the Dragon this week too (all starring Oland and the gorgeous Anna May Wong) my opinions on the better Chan could probably sway more in his favor eventually.

Mr. Karswell said...

Also wanted to say that I love this Charlie Chan comic series too, I only have a couple issues but it totally captures the spirit of the films.

Mr. Karswell said...

Annnnnd (comment #3 on the day) tomorrow I'm posting not only the final Jack Cole story this week but also a bonus Charlie Chan story!

See ya in the morn Chuck...