Tuesday, December 23, 2008

1970's 'Holiday' Flashback: Marvel Treasury Edition










Remember those tabloid-sized collections of reprinted stories that came out back in the disco decade? Yeah, I thought so.

New material would also be featured in the over-sized format, but for the most part the treasury editions -- roughly 10 x 14 inch comics collections with cardboard covers -- represented older material. Both DC and Marvel produced similar volumes, but today we take a look back at Marvel's classic holiday offerings.

1974 brought us The Marvel Treasury Special, Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag which reprinted "Have Yourself a Sandman Little Christmas!" from Marvel Team-Up #1 (March 1972) among other stories.

1975's Marvel Treasury Edition #8 Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag treated us to "Twas the Night before Christmas" from Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD #10 (May 1971) and "Jingle Bombs" from Luke Cage, Hero for Hire #7 (1972 series), plus even more tales.

and 1976's Marvel Treasury Edition #13 Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag waxed nostalgic over such tales as "Once upon a Time -- the Ox!" from Daredevil #86 (April 1972) and still loads more holiday goodness.

2 comments:

Wayne Skiver said...

I had Treasury editions of Star Wars which I read and re-read and wore out as a kid. I need to hunt some of these down for ye olde collection!

Merry Christmas Chuck!

Pappy said...

Merry Christmas, Chuck. I sure enjoy your blog.

I believe I have all of the large-size or "treasury" editions of comics published in the '70s. I didn't realize that 35 years after they were published I'd appreciate that with aging eyeballs comes the need for bigger comics! I wish they still published this sort of thing.

Have a wonderful holiday and keep the fine stuff coming.