Wednesday, January 21, 2009

"Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Terror" (Part III)






The Great Karswell is running a week-long birthday tribute to suspense writer Edgar Allan Poe over at his "The Horrors Of It All" blog, and he has generously allowed me to take part by running the Dell Comics adaptation of director Roger Corman's 1963 film "Tales of Terror" which adapted several Poe stories. "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" is a creepy warning about the perils of hypnotism. The movie version of this story starred Vincent Price, Basil Rathbone and Debra Paget. As you read this comics adaptation (from Dell Movie Classics #793) you will definitely be able to see how their likenesses were effectively captured by that issues artist, George Evans.

Enjoy! (and a belated 'Happy 200th Birthday' to the late Mr. Poe)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Chuck-

Thanks for this!

Would it be at all possible for you to post, or email me, scans of the back cover (inside & outside)?

Best,
-Craig

Chuck Wells said...

I'm glad that you enjoyed this post, but since Karswell sent me the scans you'llhave to inquire with him. go to my "links" section and click on The Horrors Of It All".

Anonymous said...

Thanks - done!
-Craig

Henry R. Kujawa said...

I want to thank you for posting these. It was these pages that allowed me to re-post the story on my own blog 4 years ago as part of my own massive POE project.

However, late last year (2018) I decided to BUY my own copy of the comic, and do my own hi-res scans, in order to upgrade the story.

You can see how it turned out here... enjoy!
http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2018/10/poe-1963-pt-3.html