Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Samar in "Captured by the Amazons "(Quality;1940)






Friends, it is a holiday week, so forgive me for running behind a bit as I do all of my prep work for Thanksgiving. Not only will all three of my kids be home on Thursday, but my parents are also coming to dinner (I'm doing most of the cooking, since I prefer to have an excellent meal).

I do have an interview or two coming up in the Catacombs, plus a preview of an independent publication, but with the logistics of those items still being in the formative stages, I thought that today's jungle comics post would be a good place for last weeks debut character to mount an early return visit.

Samar the Jungle Lord stars in "Captured by the Amazons" from Feature Comics #36 (Sept. 1940); originally published by Quality. John Celardo (aka John Charles) once again provides the art chores. This story marks the first appearance of Lazana and her Amazons and the only complaint I have over this Samar adventure is the ending. Why, oh why, does the heroic jungle lord always have to free the stupid men who've allowed themselves to be cowed by the strong, beauteous Amazons? Those kinds of tribesmen are the ultimate wussies. Just kill them off and ravish the Amazon maidens yourself, Samar? {that's what I would do} The Catacombs is grateful to Don "Zu-Gogo" Falkos for providing the scans for this story. Note: The copyright for this issue, its contents and artwork belong to the original publisher and/or creators and is reproduced here solely for entertainment purposes.
Enjoy!

No comments: