Wednesday, September 28, 2011

DC Comics #1's [9/28/2011]

As a reminder for the mythical "new" readers out there who might have been sampling funny books for the first time, my weekly breakdown of how I personally viewed these "nu" 52 books as a longtime reader, consisted of me assorting new arrivals three ways (based solely on how I viewed them as I window shopped in the store). Stuff that I liked was categorized as BEST OF THE BATCH (with a single favorite choice highlighted in *bold each week). Titles worthy of trying out, but that didn't prompt me to purchase, were categorized as "EASTER EGGS", and relaunched books that weren't worth the money, were poorly thought out to begin with, or that sucked out loud, well, these were considered "GOOSE EGGS". Honestly, this was the week that I dreaded the most, since most of the last grouping of titles, characters or creators had zero appeal to me before they even arrived.


Crow all you want about your short-term sales success, DC, but please see me in a year (or six months) and tell me how you feel about it then. The "Nu-DCU' thankfully peters out this week with the last of the reboots as follows: 

BEST OF THE BATCH
Aquaman #1 (barely ...)

EASTER EGGS
All-Star Western #1 (as a curiosity only)
Fury of Firestorm, The Nuclear Men #1 (barely ...)
Justice League Dark #1 (feeling generous here)

GOOSE EGGS
Batman: The Dark Knight #1
Blackhawks #1
Flash #1
Green Lantern: New Guardians #1
I, Vampire #1
Savage Hawkman #1
Superman #1
Teen Titans #1
Voodoo #1

Alas, George Perez work was ruined by his co-artist on Superman; I love the classic Blackhawks, but this was THE shittiest version I've ever seen (made their late 1960's goofy superhero period look inspired by comparison); 99% of the rest of this stuff was artsy-fartsy bullshit. ROFLMAO!

No comments: