Friday, August 5, 2016

In Memorium: Gaspar Saladino

Legendary letterer Gaspar Saladino passed away yesterday following a long illness (his age is believed to be somewhere in the 88 or 90 range).  Although he worked for a variety of publishers during his lengthy career, for well over five decades he was a staple of DC Comics responsible for so many of their iconic font designs. Gaspar designed hundreds of logos for the company and as time permitted, also worked on interiors particularly on Swamp Thing with Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson. The Catacombs extends its sincerest condolences to his family, friends and fans.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I always Remember Gaspars work. His name was Always something looked forward to.
I enjoyed the comics all the more.
Then iAd fun his name alone made me happy. Happy that's what count
Thanks for the post. He's in my heart.

Billy Kingsley said...

Sad news. I liked his work. He was one of the first letterers to use a signature in the credits box instead of just a name, something much more common later on.

Kid said...

Sad news. What amazes me reading your post is that page of logo samples. I've never seen it before, but it strongly resembles one of my own in a flyer I produced many years ago when I was a lettering artist. I don't mean that the logos are similar to mine, just the layout. Two great minds perhaps?