Wednesday, February 1, 2012

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Cave Girl in "Altar of the Axe" (Magazine Enterprises; 1954)

Folks, I will hit the half century mark this month and as a personal form of celebration, I plan on deploying what I refer to as the Catacombs “All-Stars” for your reading pleasure. During the course of this blog I have tried to maintain my golden age jungle postings in as linear a timeline as possible, with only an occasional foray coming outside of the established publishing sequence for each feature; however I fully intend to step away from that conceit for the entire month of February 2012. Instead, I will present some of the very best looking adventure stories remaining in the archives (thanks to Don "Zu-Gogo" Falkos), regardless of when they were originally published, and there are literally hundreds to choose from - so I hope you all enjoy the selections this month. As for which characters will comprise my impromptu lineup of “all-stars”; well prepare for some REALLY cool tales starring Cave Girl (who kicks things off today), Fantomah, Jo-Jo, Judy of the Jungle, Ka’a’nga, Nyoka, Princess Pantha, Rulah, Red Panther, Samar, Sheena, Tabu, Thun’da, Tiger Girl, Tor, Voodah and Wambi over the next few weeks. Please, stay tuned!
Cave Girl is captured by elephant-riding Amazons in the bondage-themed "Altar of the Axe" from Cave Girl #13 (Jul-Sept.1954); originally published by Magazine Enterprises. This terrific tale is written by Gardner Fox and illustrated by Bob Powell. The Catacombs is grateful to Don "Zu-Gogo" Falkos for providing the scans for this story. Note: The copyright for this issue, its contents and artwork belong to the original publisher and/or the creators and is reproduced here solely for entertainment purposes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

HEH said...

Yes! I love your Cave Girl posts. Thanks, Chuck!

Chuck Wells said...

Thanks! She'll be back again this month too.