Thursday, February 11, 2010

Princess Pantha Goes "Ape Shit!" (Better/Standard;1947)










Okay, maybe Pantha doesn't truly go "ape shit', but when I pulled this story as today's feature, I realized that it would have been absolutely perfect as the capper for my recent run of "Go Ape Shit Week" posts. Alas!

This story is taken from Thrilling Comics #58 (Feb. 1947), originally published by the company of many names: Better, Standard, Nedor, Pines. Art Saaf is credited as the artist and it's a fine golden age adventure tale from the talented Mr. Saaf. Art's son tends to drop me a line every time that I post something of his dad's, so that's always nice too. The cover, which I've included, is by Nedor's "go-to-guy" for classic covers, Alex Schomburg.

The Catacombs is grateful to Don "Zu-Gogo" Falkos for providing the scans for this story. Note: The copyright for this issue, its contents and artwork belong to the original publisher and/or creators and is reproduced here solely for entertainment purposes.

Remember to stop by tomorrow for my regular "Gal" Friday featurette. This week we get to ogle Jasmine Sinclair all over again. She will be the first "gal" selection to score a repeat appearance in the Catacombs.

Until then, "Enjoy!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!
Thanks Chuck

Steve S

Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck-

Jim Vadeboncouer tells me that my dad, Art Saaf, didn't do this and that Ralph Mayo did the inks.

OOOps, back to my drawing board!

Steve Saaf